So what makes Greek & Greene Olive Oil special and how do you get the best out of it? Here are a few facts...
- Our oil comes from a small olive grove high in the mountains of the Mani peninsula. This is the best part of the Kalamata PDO zone, the source of Greece's finest olive oil.
- The olives are from Koroneiki olive trees that are between 30 and 100 years old.
- Farming is chemical-free, by Tassos and Dimitri whose family have been harvesting these trees for generations.
- The olives are pressed and the oil canned unfiltered within 12 hours of harvest. No chemicals are used.
- This olive oil is unfiltered, so each can contains sediment from the flesh of the olives. This is part of the reason it has such a great flavour, and we recommend that when you reach the heavy sediment you pour it through a sieve to extract the last of the oil.
- The oil is best at its freshest and should be kept sealed in its can away from heat, light and air. We recommend re-filling a dark glass bottle from the can as you need it.
- It is best used as a dressing, for finishing or in recipes which will allow the flavour to come out. Tomato sauce- yes. Roast potatoes - probably not.
Greek & Greene Olive Oil is released once a year. Once it's gone, that's it until the next harvest.